Between all the baking, packaging from holiday shopping and the overall influx of items coming into our home during this time of year, my family seems to generates ALOT of recycling. According to CalRecycle, more than 1 million tons of additional waste are generated each week nationwide between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day. I can believe it! These tips can help your family reduce their waste:
* Use rechargeable batteries. Include them with electronic gifts you may be giving this year.
* Send holiday cards made from recycled paper or send electronic greetings.
* Repurpose old holiday cards. Cut and use as gift tags, bookmarks or decorations.
* Use reusable bags. Take them with you when you shop or package gifts.
* Buy foods in bulk to reduce packaging waste.
* Compost all leftover foods. Use your green cart or backyard compost bin for food scraps and food-soiled paper.
Visit www.calrecycle.ca.gov/publiced/holidays/ for more tips.