It is that time of year again… It’s time for a little summer vacation with the fam! With that being said, before you leave town it is important that your home is burglar proofed.
Here are 8 tips that I suggest to protect your home while your away:
- Make it noisy to break in. Invest in a burglar alarm. The most effect systems ring at an outside service, which alerts the police.
- ***Keep quiet on social media. Never announce your departure or vacation dates on social networks. Sharing settings are not foolproof and with new security updates it’s always hard to tell what’s public and what’s private.
- Turn off your computer and disconnect it from the internet. Make sure personal information is hard to access. You don’t need a hacker in your home too.
- Keep valuables under lock and key and well hidden. Do not leave personal documents in your home office or desk. Be sure to lock them up. Same goes for jewelry. Lock up or hide somewhere in the house besides a bedroom.
- Stop your mail. Either place a “stop” on all mail and newspapers or have a friend pick up your mail daily.
- Remove your spare key. Don’t make it easy for a burglar to enter your home. Hide the key inside or bring it with you on your vacation.
- Don’t leave your lights on. Don’t leave your lights on at home throughout your entire vacation in an effort to make it look like someone is in the house. It will cost you $$$ and it will look suspicious that your lights are on in the middle of the night. Purchase a light switch timer that can turn your lights on and off automatically according to a programmed schedule. Criminals keeping an eye on your house will notice lights flipping on and off, and will probably assume someone is doing the flipping.
- Curtains Closed — or Open? Leave your curtains exactly as you usually keep them when you’re home, since noticeable changes could hint that you’re not around anymore — especially if your curtains are uncharacteristically left closed for two weeks.
You can never be too safe! Although it may sound like a lot of preparation work, it will keep your mind at peace and allow you to relax on your vacation.